Sunday 1 September 2013

The Selection by Kiera Cass Review


"For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined."


I went into this book slightly skeptical because it sounded very girly? I don't know how to explain but it just didn't sound like it would appeal to me. However, I was mistaken because this book was so interesting and had me on the edge of my seat. I loved the bitchy-ness of the contestants when they entered the selection it was something that made the book a lot more relatable to me which is important for dystopian books to do. I liked America as the main character but she frustrated me at times and I found myself screaming at the book. My favourite character by far was the Prince Maxon he's just adorably awkward and sweet.

*Now for the Spoilers*

    Ok to start off on the main point I hate Aspen! I hate him, I hate him , I hate him! First of all he was so sketchy he has been going out with America for two whole years and his mother and sisters have only just started to notice that he's happier in the past three weeks? That doesn't add up even if he's happier because he's started to put money away for a wedding that still is fishy. Also he's so typically male I mean the whole "I have to provide for you, you can't provide for me by bringing me food, you deserve someone better who can provide for you rather than the other way around." That bugged me she has been "providing" food for him for two years by giving him scraps from her dinner and only now is he getting cross. Again sketchy. Then the icing on the cake she sees him at her send off, after ripping her heart out and stomping on it with lies, he's holding another girl! I just don't buy the whole "she tripped and I caught her" thing that he came up with. Oh and him turning up at the palace! Don't even start me on that he has to know that he could end up killing him and her because of their affair and also he knows she is starting to fall in love with Maxon and he just want to mess that up! He is so selfish and frankly is nothing but an arse!
  Now that my rant on how much I hate Aspen is over I can start on the rest of the book. I love Maxon Team Maxon 150% he's adorable and his relationship with America is so sweet with the whole tug on the ear thing and how he wanted his first kiss to be with her. I loved how America is so obviously the front runner yet she is so dismisive of the idea. I think she's so sweet to the other contestants and her maids aw it's so lovely. I love her I really do but God is she frustrating I mean it's so clear her and Maxon belong together and she just needs to forget about Aspen because he is not good enough for her.
  Oh and lastly what do you make of the whole government side of it. I mean the rebels and the castes etc. I think it's really interesting and I am excited to see how that develops because the government is such a crucial element to all dystopian books so I'm excited for Elite.

Let me know your thoughts on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment