Monday 7 October 2013

Banned Books

Is it just me or are you hearing more and more about banned books and opinions etc. everywhere! I know I missed banned books week but I thought I'd through in my two cents on the subject anyway.

Firstly here is a list of books I am personally find ludicrous:


  1. Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephan Chbosky
  2. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
  3. Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison 
  4. Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone by J.K Rowling
  5. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
  6. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  7. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
  8. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
  9. The Witches by Roald Dahl
  10. Charlotte's Web by E.B White

^And that's only to name a few!

   Firstly I don't agree with the idea of banning books. I don't think people should be restricted to what they are able to read, especially when it's for reasons like "it included the word black in the title" (reason why Black Beauty was banned in South Africa during the apartheid) or it included "racial content, profanity, and references to rape" (reason why To Kill a Mockingbird was banned) in my mind these are not valid reasons to ban books.
   Secondly I think the whole idea of banning books is flawed. Surely if you don't people to read about a certain topic then surely banning a book and making it the forbidden fruit won't help, surely that will only make people want to read the book even more.
   Then the actual books they ban are insane! I mean To Kill a Mockingbird is a book I studied at school (which was a religious school I might add)it is a classic piece of literature that I feel is in so many lists of books you have to read and is honestly one of the few books I read in school that I really enjoyed. The same goes for The Catcher in the the Rye and Of Mice and Men also. And may I just say Charlotte's Web should never be banned because it is a book I grew up with and that I read at a very young age and found nothing wrong with it and I cannot for the life of me see a reason to ban this book.
   Lastly to finish the rant I think there is a far better solution then banning books. I understand why people may want books such as Perks of Being a Wallflower, 13 Reasons Why and Fifty Shades of Grey to be banned because I admit the content of these books is more mature and can contain scenes that may upset some people such as suicide, drugs, explicit sex etc. I understand this because I personally wouldn't want my 10 year old sisters reading any of these books right now as the content is not appropriate for them but in saying that I think there is a simple solution that is not as drastic as banning the books completely. I think that books should be clearly sectioned and labeled explicitly saying that the book contains scenes such as... so that no one goes into the book unaware that it contains... But for those people who want books banned because they "support homosexuality" or "don't support racism" I am not even going to comment because that will cause a whole other rant!

Share your view on Book Banning.

No comments:

Post a Comment