Monday 14 October 2013

Brief Reviews

So you may have noticed that I am very behind when it comes to reviewing books especially if you've been following my Goodreads account. Honestly I kept remembering to review a book half way through a different book, but fear not I am going to give my opinions on these books. I thought it would be better to write one slightly longer post and get myself up to speed quickly rather than write four short posts over a week or so. Lets get started.

*P.S there may be some minor spoilers because I read these books a while ago and I am not to sure of where scenes came in a book. Just be aware of this before reading these reviews because I wouldn't want anyone to be spoiled.*


1. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Leithan

I hate to say it but I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. I had read one of David Levithan's books before this and heard so much about John Green so I was expecting amazing things from this book but I only found it ok. The main reason I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would was because I really really did not like the second Will Grayson (WG2 for further reference) I found him very rude and mean and selfish and honestly just an unlikable character. I understand why he is like that from reading the book but I still just couldn't warm to him. However, I did prefer the first Will Grayson (WG1) to WG2 but I still found both of them hard characters to warm to in the beginning of the book. The character that kept me reading the book was Tiny! I love Tiny so much he was by far my favourite character and lifted the book from and being an average 3 stars up to a 4 star book. I read the interview part at the very back of the book and found out John Green wrote WG1 and David Levithan wrote WG2 in case anyone was wondering. I would recommend this book however only if you have read at least one book by each author before hand. This in my opinion was not a good book to use as an introduction to John Green and was not as good as the previous book I read by David Levithan. I think it is safe to say this book was not the best work of either of these fantastic authors.


2. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

In contrast to Will Grayson, Will Grayson this would be a fantastic book to introduce the fantastic writing style of the wonderful John Green. I loved this book so so much, honestly I am glad this is a quick review because if I had wrote a long review of this book it would quickly turn into a love letter to a book! This book had me laughing from start to finish I just loved it. I also loved the little added bits of information at the bottom of some of the pages, hell I even read the section just on Colin's formula at the back I loved it so much. I loved Hassan and Colin but especially Hassan. Why do I love John Green's secondary characters better than the protagonists? Honestly just a fabulous book definitely 5 stars!

3. Girl With a Guitar by Caisey Quinn

I read this book ages ago so excuse the lack of memory on my part. I remember really liking this book although I found the male protagonist a bit of an ass apart from when he was with his sisters. I don't remember what happened but I remember thinking that he was being overly harsh on Kylie. Obviously this book is set in the south of America and is all about country music so I obviously loved that aspect, and the fact that the male protagonist was an all american country singer made up for his faults. Basically good book 3.5-4 stars (only because I can't remember enough of it to warrant any higher)

4+5 City of Bones and City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

I am loving these books I'm reading City of Glass at the moment and I am flying through this series. Because I am reading this series so quickly I will not be able to keep up with the reviews. Sooooo I am just going to say right now that I am loving this series so much! I am planning on doing one long post on the whole series, similar to my Wanted Series post; on that I will discuss favourite characters, favourite book, favourite cover and other fun stuff like that. So look out for that.


That's me pretty much back up to date so as I said look out for The Mortal Instruments post and have a good day :).



No comments:

Post a Comment