Monday 4 November 2013

Book Discussion: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Spoilers will occur



"Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?"



Favourite Parts:


  1. The fights in the Seelie Court over who will kiss
  2. When Jace tells Clary how he really feels
  3. Jace's effect on Valentine's change of plans: Luke- "What makes you think that Valentine's change of plans had anything to do with your brother?"  Clary- "Because only Jace can piss someone off that much."

Discussion:

   This is where the story really comes together. We're off looking for Valentine we learn more of his plan and there is a lot more action! The main thing I hated in this books was how I was acting towards Jace and Clary being together. I was reading it thinking both "Ew you're brother and sister" then seconds later "Who cares incest isn't a big deal get together!" I was so conflicted within myself. 
   I loved Clary's power with the runes and the scene where she tests out the fearless rune on Alec was hilarious. Also what was Jace doing? Granted he redeemed himself but he went off finding Valentine and kept calling him father it was just awful. I hated the inquisitor she was just horrible!
   Simon is a vampire now. I did not see that coming, also that whole situation where Simon was trapped in the van and the sun came up I was so scared. But it's cool he's a Daylighter. That's fine. I also loved the Seelie Court I hated the Faeries but loved experiencing there world and learning more about them. In fact I loved learning about Downworlders throughout the book. We learn more about vampires through Simon and Werewolves through Luke and a little bit about Warlocks. I really want to learn more about Warlocks though.
   My favourite part of this whole book was the boat scene and the fight with Valentine. I was so proud of Clary for just being kick ass with her rune power. Then Jace with his amazing Shadowhunter skills- it was awesome.


Sorry for the scatterbrained nature of the post but I was writing as I was remembering scenes from the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment